- Read out loud: Reading a section out loud helps you recognize awkward passages.
- Trim the fat: Whereas you will probably add a few words while editing, you should be eliminating words.
- Put it aside: Wait a few days before beginning the editing process. Placing your work aside for a few days allows your noggin to forget what you toiled away at; allowing your brain to comprehend what is actually written down.
- Say what you mean: Convey it clearly straight out the gate, and then move on.
- Substantiate yourself: Every word should have a purpose to be in your piece; if it doesn’t, remove it.
Copyright © 2014 by Diane Morasco